Memorial day weekend is here….the actual memorial day is Monday, May 28th, 2011. I’m sure many people are excited and looking forward to the weekend especially because they get Monday off from school or work. Before I go into ideas for the weekend, here are some facts about memorial day.
- It was formerly called Decoration day
- It is a day to remember those who died for the nation during war and their graves are traditionally decorated with flowers
- It was declared a federal holiday in 1971 and it was in the same year that congress made it the last Monday in May.
This holiday was created for a purpose and not just for someone to have a free no work or no school day so try to enlighten yourself by reading up more historical facts about this day and remember those who have sacrificed themselves for this nation.
Unofficially, memorial days is said to be the start of summer…so YAY!! I’m happy because I won’t have to see more slimy nasty worms which you see during spring because of the rain! Ugh! I really don’t like those little crawling creatures. Ok! Enough of the worms talk, I am getting goosebumps already.
Here are some ideas for memorial day weekend
- Barbecue..a grill outside, tossing those burgers on the grill, some hotdogs, chicken and fun people around, hmm, I think that sounds like fun.
- The beach. A walk on the beach, lying down in the sand, some water splashes…great!
- Out to eat at a nice restaurant
- A family getaway or family gathering of some kind…..nice to spend time with the family
- Hiking! Taking a walk with different nice scenery. Don’t forget to take a camera with you, so you can take pictures!
- Shopping. You know there will be some great memorial day sales
- Fun at home. You can cook some amazing recipes, get a good movie to watch, relax, read a book….
- Attend a parade. Check ahead of time and know where the parade is taken place, time, so you can plan your time to be there…
Whatever you do…..I hope it’s an amazing weekend for you 🙂
Have yourselves a very wonderful weekend! and have a happy Memorial Day